Meet the Maker - VIVASMITH
Continuing our ‘Meet the Maker’ series led us to Canada and the Vivasmith studio, home to a superb partnership between Deborah Vivas and Melissa Smith. In our interview with this talented contemporary jewellery duo, we looked at what makes a successful partnership, where they draw their inspiration, and who their heroes are in the jewellery world. We touch on what led them to choose to be a designer-makers and their favourite techniques. It’s an excellent balance where two people with different areas of interest manage to combine their individual passions into one harmonious outcome. Enjoy the read.
Five Fun Facts about Melissa Smith & Deborah Vivas
- What is your theme song? 'Home' from Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.
- Hot or Cold? Melissa enjoys both, but for me neither. I like food, drinks at room temperature, and my happy place is at 75 F/ 24 C.
- Ocean or Forest? We prefer oceans, but forests hold a special place in our hearts too.
- Favorite tools in the studio? For me it is the torch and the burnisher. For Melissa it is the saw and her faceting machine. We both also like spending time using our microscope looking for unique inclusions in gemstones.
- Describe yourself in five words. We are both determined, adventurous, creative, outgoing and funny - at least, we are pretty sure that’s what our dogs think of us.
EA. The two of you have forged an excellent partnership in the studio. How did you meet and what made you decide to join forces instead of working individually?